Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mailbox

Hey,
My name is A and I am a senior majoring in Public Relations at Auburn University. I just want to let you know that I read your blog daily and absolutely love it. The reason I am writing to you is because I am doing my internship next summer in Manhattan and was wondering if you had any suggestions or any essential items that I should bring. I was thinking about asking for gift certificates related to NYC for Christmas (spas, restaurants). Any suggestions or ideas would be so helpful. Thanks again!
A

Hi A,
Thanks for reading! I love getting notes like yours and I appreciate you taking the time to tell me that you stop by daily. Congrats on your internship! What will you be doing? Gift certificates are a great idea for Christmas. www.restaurants.com has a large selection of NYC restaurants and you can get gift certificates for $3 or $4 for $25 worth of food! I would also be sure to get a Starbucks card. There is one on every corner and you'll sure to stop in more than usual if you are working! I'm still new to the city so I haven't uncovered too many restaurants that I'm crazy about. I find that you frequent the restaurants in your area the most. I love www.menupages.com. You can pick the type of food you like and the area you want to dine in and it comes up with all of your options...complete with online menus. I haven't been to a spa yet, but there are tons of options here in the city. Again, I'm still too new to give the expert opinion on that one. I would however ask for a Amex Cash Card that you could use at any spa AND that way you could get your weekly pedi/mani at your local spot for $20.00! One of the best deals in the city! I hope this helps!

All my best,

MMM

PS. Check out my "Manhattan General label for other tidbits on NYC that I've talked about. It's a great way to find everything I've ever talked about in one spot.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

First off, I have to say I love your blog and I love the fact that you let us into your life. I think I'm somewhat of your "blog lurker". Anyway, since I am an Auburn Alum and interned in NYC a few years ago myself, I had to comment on this one.
It was my experience that all that walking around the city made me really hungry! And everything was so expensive! So ask for gift cards or those visa/amex gift cards, if possible, so you can pick where you want to go. Also, I had a big bag so I could carry extra things like a small umbrella, books in case I went to the park, or a snack for at work. If you do this, just make sure you get one that fastens securely so that when you're crammed into the subway, you don't have to worry about someone sneaking their hand into your bag and stealing something. And yes, you will meet WEIRD people on the subway.

Hope this helps some and good luck at your internship! War Eagle! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin