Saturday, May 30, 2009

Belated Farewell and Best Wishes To a Friend





I am completely copying Millitini, but I don't think Bama Belle will mind. I was just reading her post about everything she did and accomplished while living in the city. I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but Bama Belle dated A's best friend from high school way back when. That's right, she has know my husband longer than me! =) I had heard Bama Belle's name before, but when I moved to the city I was glad to know there was another Bama girl in town. She was so sweet and invited us to her bday party immediately. I can't remember what we had planned, but we did not get the chance to meet then. A few months later, in a desperate attempt to meet new friends I joined the Junior League. I received one of the very last spots in the fall provisional classes. I was at work and so excited about meeting new people when I got an email from Bama Belle. I had never met her and all her email said, was "Are you joining Jr. League?" I was kinda in shock. Strange stalker ex girlfriend that I've never met...I wrote back to her that in fact I was joining up. She wrote back: "Ha, Ha! I'm your provisional leader." I was so relieved and excited that I would know someone on my first day. I met Bama Belle very soon after in the beautiful league house. She was dressed to the nines and so pretty and sweet. =) We were friends immediately. Very soon after we had the first of many margaritas together and the rest was the beginning of an awesome friendship!

When my Grandmother died two weeks before Baby J was born, I was devastated. I didn't want to talk to anyone, I just wanted to be pregnant and cry. Two dozen white roses showed up at my apartment door and I just started crying more. My sweet friend thinks of everything. There are very few moments in life when flowers don't make it better for just a few minutes. They always make me smile and, I too, love to send them when a friend needs a little love. Bama Belle was also our very first visitor at the hospital when Baby J was born. It was so nice to see a Bama face there. She brought me red velvet cupcakes. Can a friend get any better?

When Bama Belle called me to tell me her plans to move back "home," to the place we both had spent countless hours talking about going back to...I was both elated and extremely jealous. This move could not have come at a better time for her. When God closes a door he opens a window, and this is Bama Belle's window. I often told her via our daily G-chats that the time she spent worrying about her NYC dating disasters was a waste because I knew her price charming was waiting back in the South. I'm sorry but Bama Belle was just not going to end up with a Yankee Boy. It's just not the way the story was meant to end. =) Bama Belle, he is there and HE'LL find you. Don't go looking just yet, be patient my friend. Sit back and take a nice long swing on the porch. Drive around in your car (just not between 4pm-7pm on 280.) Wander the LARGE isles at the grocery store and Target. Try to enjoy each and every moment of all things Southern that we both missed so much. Please conference call me in when you describe that first bite of your Chick fil A chicken biscuit to Millitini. Go grab a fruit and cheese platter from O'Carrs, a smiley face cookie from Savages, and a bowl of delicous La Paz cheese dip. Oh heavens, I'm homesick already.

At our last meeting together, Baby J pooped on her new jeans and we enjoyed early afternoon vino at a local outdoor cafe. (And spinach dip, of course.) Bama Belle presented some leftover swag from her old job. Thanks friend. (Secret word, we are enjoying LOTS of Captain Crunch!)
L, I miss you already. I can't tell you what a wonderful person you are. Some guy is going to be so lucky to finally sweep you off your pretty little heels. The Bham League is going to be so lucky to have you as member. La Paz's business just increased by at least 2%. (As did Hot and Hot, Bottega and Highlands...) So, I raise a glass of sweet tea to you my friend. I hold an Orange Thing up high. Cheers to your next chapter. I'm glad you'll be at "home" when I'm there for my required holidays with the in laws. I miss you already. Baby J sends kisses to his Aunt L. See you the last weekend of June. Please have my cheese dip waiting.

XOXO

12 comments:

Sandra said...

What a sweet post for your friend! She is surely gonna miss you!!

Hopsy said...

There is nothing like a good friend! It sounds like you have had several wonderful wonderful years with BB! I am so glad I got to meet such an amazing lady at the Lilly townhouse!!

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

What a great post! Milltini's post made me want to move to New York, but your post makes me want to move to Birmingham! :) L is so sweet and I'm sure NYC needs more southern girls like her to keep you company!

Sarah said...

What a sweet farewell post! Great friends like that are hard to find indeed!! Very lucky girls!!

Preppy Coastee said...

Aww this post almost makes me cry! I'm sorry one of your good friends is leaving you!

Kristen said...

Birmimgham IS awesome. I just ate at Jim & Nick's today!

Her Preppiness said...

What a wonderful post!!

Jill said...

*sniff* What a wonderful tribute to an obviously wonderful friend.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Aw, what a touching tribute. From what I can tell from here on the interwebs, BB seems wonderful.

I laughed when I about your joining the Jr. League - been there, joined that! So nice to hear you met up with such a sweet friend as a result.

Elizabeth said...

How sweet! I'm sure she is going to miss you and Baby J!

Anonymous said...

This is one of the loveliest posts I've read Miss MMM, it i just a beautiful tribute.

Thank you for sharing so much with us, it was a joy to read.
tp

USCEmily said...

Such a sweet post for Bama Belle! She has some great friends in you and Millitini and I know she'll be anxious to visit you in NY and have you visit her in Alabama!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin